The Government of Belize has received counterpart funding from the European Union via the Belize Rural Development Program II (BRDP II) to finance a project entitled “Making Tourism Benefit Communities Adjacent to Archaeological Sites:” Co-financing for the project is being provided by the Government of Belize through the Ministry of Tourism and Culture represented by the Belize Tourism Board and the National Institute of Culture and History. The project is being implemented by the Belize Tourism Board and the National Institute of Culture and History through a Project Execution Unit housed at the Belize Tourism Board offices. The objectives of the project are:
- · To improve economic opportunities in rural communities and contribute to the reduction of poverty;
- · To enhance the tourism experience through improvements in tourism infrastructure and services at selected sites.
The project intends to achieve three main sets of results:
- · Results One: Improve the monitoring systems at archaeological sites;
- · Results Two: Improve health and safety provisions and infrastructure at archaeological sites;
- · Results Three: Enhance the diversification of community based tourism products and services offered at archaeological sites in Belize. Continue reading “Expression of Interest Diversification of Community Based Tourism Products and Services Under the “Making Tourism Benefit Communities Adjacent to Archaeological Sites” Project”