Belize’s location has proven to serve not only as a strategic point for the export of goods to North America, CARICOM and Latin America (LAC) but also for its regional recognition as both a nearshore and offshore destination for the export of services to various markets. Since the establishment of the first contact center in 2005, Belize has experienced over 80% industry growth and currently hosts twenty-four (24) established operators offering various services in Business Process Outsourcing (BPO), Knowledge Process Outsourcing (KPO) and emerging areas in Information Technology Outsourcing (ITO).
The development of this sector is attributed to Belize’s talented English speaking labor force with bilingual capabilities and its close proximity to North and Central America, a strategic location in line with similar time zones. With call center wages as low as US$2.25 at entry level and US$5.00 to 6.00 at supervisory levels, Belize offers one of the most competitive cost to value quotients in the Latin America and Caribbean region with low attrition rates averaging less than 5%. Belize’s current employee base encompasses 2,900 agents as of 2017 with a forecast of steady growth as many multinational companies seek to outsource functions of global value chains to nearshore destinations such as Belize.
As part of its growth trajectory, the industry services companies across various verticals such as Hospitality, Finance, Insurance, Health, Education and Real Estate amongst others. The initial service offering in Belize focused on tier one services, encompassing basic voice customer service support; however, there has recently been tremendous diversification in the service offering, such as but not limited, to the following as of 2017:
- Customer Service
- Telemarketing Technical Support
- Dedicated Agent Inbound Services
- Remote Infrastructure Management and Security Operations
- Virtual Office
- Sales Generation
- Collections and Transactions
- Inbound/Outbound Calls and Sales
- Business Processes & Back Office Outsourcing
- Online and Offline Business Data Entry
- Medical Records Preparation
- New Product Launch
- Credit Care Validation & Processing
- Quality Assurance
- Email/Chat Support
- Software Development
- Lead Generation
- Medical Transcription
- Other Services
The continued development of this industry is strongly supported by the Government of Belize (GOB) through competitive incentive programs, specifically the Export Processing Zone (EPZ) Program, tailored for export-oriented companies in providing a myriad of tax exemptions for the development over a period of twenty (20) years. This incentive is also complemented by training support offered by the Belize Training and Employment Center (BTEC), a unit of BELTRAIDE. Thus, established operators seamlessly qualify for these benefits as approximately 99.9% of their clients are foreign entities. To date, the export of services in this industry is presently focused on markets in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
In keeping abreast of global changes and consumer demands, Belize continues to position itself as a competitive destination offering a cadre of investment opportunities in this industry. The following highlights only a few of the many opportunities in Belize.
- Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) such as Inbound/Outbound sales, Telemarketing, Technical Support, Collections and Transactions, Customer Service, Email and Social Media Support.
- Knowledge Processing Outsourcing (KPO) such as Accounts, Business Consulting, IBCs and Trust Facilitation, Quality Assurance, Data Processing, Online Marketing and Virtual Business Management.
- Information Technology Outsourcing (ITO), including Online Gaming, Social Media Management, and Tier 1 IT Tech Support.
- Legal Process Outsourcing (LPO), including Bookkeeping and Billing, Contract Management, Contract Review, Data Analysis and Management, Due Diligence, Intellectual Property (IP) Services, Legal Research and Legal Transcription.
For more details on investment opportunities in Belize’s Offshore Outsourcing Services Industry, please feel free to contact our team at BelizeINVEST, a unit of BELTRAIDE!
14 Orchid Garden St.
City of Belmopan