Do you have a startup that could change the world?
Apply to be selected among the most innovative startups in Latin America and the Caribbean!
This year the IDB will be selecting a group of 15 startups, to participate, from December 1st to the 3rd, 2014, in one of the most innovative events at the IDB in Washington, DC. The goal is to raise awareness and connect innovative solutions, creative ventures from Latin America and the Caribbean to the world.
Selected candidates will:
- Be exposed to the best disruptive content on innovation, interactive events, hands on workshops, inspiring talks, and find new ideas, connect, share experiences and learn from peers;
- Present their startups to the audience of DEMAND SOLUTIONS, including investors, executives, journalists, industry references, university students and prospective partners. They will also be evaluated by a panel of expert judges;
- Work two days under the modality “Fly Garage” a Mondelez International innovation incubator, to be part of a social, collaborative and creative experiment for their startups;
- Be awarded a round trip airline ticket from their home country to Washington, D.C., lodging, and a stipend for food and local transportation. It is expected that selected innovators commit to participate in all the activities of the program prior to and after the event.
- Applicant must be a citizen and resident of an IDB borrowing member country;
- Must be between 18 and 35 years of age by October 1st, 2014 and, must be the founder or co-founder of the startup;
- The startups must have at least one year but no more than two years of implementation;
- The startups must focus on technology, and should relate to at least one of the following categories: Social Change, Cities and Climate Change, Health and Wellness, Education and Open Knowledge, Government and Citizen Participation, Gaming for Social Good and Technology in Financial Services;
- Applications should be submitted through the website, www.iadb.org/DemandSolutions;
- A video pitch of no more than 2 minutes is required. The video must feature only the applicant in front of the camera. It must be uploaded to Youtube, as part of the application (no password protection please).The video should answer the following questions:
– What is the product/service about?
– What is the problem that the product/service seeks to address?
– What are the startup growth plans?
– Why should you be selected?
- Along with the application, the candidate must submit 2 letters of recommendation:
– One from the partner endorsing the startups’ work;
– The second letter must be from another type of organization familiar with the startup’s work
and accomplishments that could validate their work;
– Recommendation letters can’t be from family members of the startup founders.
- The deadline to submit applications is July 16, 2014 11:59 PM EST. There will be no extensions;
- Selected candidates will be notified by e-mail.
- Participation is contingent to the candidate obtaining a USA visa.
- Selected candidates must be ready to pitch their ideas in a “pitch by fire” format, which means they will have 3 minutes to get the selected jury and the audience interested in the startup. Participants will be allowed to use up to 3 slides if they choose to do so. Participants must focus their pitch on the main issue their startup addresses.