The Ministry of Energy, Science & Technology and Public Utilities launched a progressive energy and technology policy. “The document provides an outline for the Sustainable Energy Strategy in the development of a low carbon economy by 2033” (MESTPU Strategic Plan 2012-2017, p.Xii).
Within the Strategic plan, specific goals mentioned include:
- Reduce per capita energy intensity of at least 30% by 2033
- Develop an Energy Efficiency and Conservation Policy 2012-2033
- 50% reduction of the electricity bill for public sector buildings for cooling and lighting to US $3.4MM
And many other specific goals were highlighted.
An Assessment of the current energy situation indicates the following:
Source: MESTPU Strategic Plan 2012-2017/NEP 2011
Energy sources to be explored include:
- Biomass-Utilizing land fit for feedstock production
- Hydro- Currently installed with plans for future expansion
- Wind- Pending identification of feasible locations
- Solar- To attend to remote locations and cooling services for buildings
- Oil- Increased productivity of oil extraction
For access to the complete Strategic Plan 2012-2017, kindly click here.