Belize Training & Employment Centre Prepares Belizeans for Work
The number of call centers is growing in Belize creating employment to just under three thousand Belizeans. This week, the Belize Training and Employment Center is preparing individuals to become professional in the workplace. Isani Cayetano reports.
Isani Cayetano, Reporting
Business Process Outsourcing, BPO, as it is commonly referred to, is a burgeoning industry in Belize that is recognized as a specialized “niche” area. As such, it has become a priority sector for socioeconomic growth.
Rolanda Ferguson, Student, Belize Training and Employment Center
“It’s one of Belize’s fastest growing industries, you know, this where it’s happening so I guess this is where I want to be.”
With the emergence of call centers across Belize City, there has been a need to standardize the quality of customer service presently being offered.
Read the rest of this entry »
The Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE) is a statutory body of the Government of Belize mandated to perform functions and duties related to:
1) Trade Development and Promotion
2) Investment Generation and Promotion
3) Enterprise Development and Facilitation
BELTRAIDE operates within the portfolio of the Ministry of Trade, Investment Promotion, Private Sector Development, and Consumer Protection.
BELTRAIDE is seeking the services of a suitably qualified and experienced person for the post of General Manager, Trade & Investment Development Division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
I. Strategic Management
A. Strategic Planning
1. Liaise and collaborate with the other division of the organization and with other government agencies and departments to ensure organizational synergies, maximize resource management, and keep in line with the overall organization direction, vision and mission.
B. Monitoring & Evaluation
1. Annually and quarterly measure and evaluate division’s performance indicators and provide recommendations for continual improvements;
II. Programmatic Management
A. Investment and Trade Development and Promotion
1. Investment Development & Promotion: 1) New Industry Identification: work along with the management team (of both divisions) to identify, assess, and develop new areas of investment attraction; 2) New Investments Generation: work along with management team (of both divisions) to define and execute investment generation schemes;
2. Trade Promotion: Product/Service Promotion: to work along with the management team (of both divisions) to strategically and proactively promote Investment and Trade opportunities domestically and internationally;
III. General Management
A. Division Administration
1. Manage the overall daily division operations, and oversees division operating procedures including internal controls;
2. Continually improve technical policies and procedures to ensure effective and team-focused operations.
B. Division Project Management
1. Oversee the analysis, selection, planning, tracking and documentation, coordination and execution of all division projects from the project writing phase to project termination;
2. Be responsible for Grant Writing: direct and oversee the research of funding opportunities;
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Keen knowledge of Belizean private and public sectors, business development process, tax and financial framework, investment and trade promotion and development, international development agencies, project management, time management, quality control management and HR management
Strong skills in leadership, mentoring, forwarding thinking, and problem-solving
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCES:
The successful applicant must possess:
A minimum of a Master’s degree in Industrial Policy, Development Economics, International Business, Business Administration, Public Administration, or other a related field
Minimum of five (5) years management experience
Previous experience with managing staff, negotiating agreements, financial management, and managing stakeholder relationships
Other required experience include the ability to identify and implement best practices, work independently, think strategically, plan for the long-term success of the organization and effectively delegate tasks
An attractive package, commensurate with qualification and experience, is being offered.
Letters of Application are to be addressed to:
Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE)
#14 Orchid Garden
City of Belmopan
APPLICATION SHOULD INCLUDE:
a) Proof of educational qualification (copy of certificate of highest educational qualification to be attached to letter of application)
b) Proof of work experience along with two letters of reference, one of which should be from a most recent employer (to be attached to the Letter of Application)
c) Copy of a valid Belizean driver’s license
CLOSING DATE & TIME
The closing date and time for the receipt of applications is 5:00 p.m. on Friday 31st October, 2014.
Are you a tech savy programmer or data scientist in Belize looking for a new challenge? Do you feel that you have the skills to compete globally? If yes, then you should definitely visit http://www.kaggle.com/competitions
Through Kaggle, you can participate in real life competitions with significant payouts and a chance to compete globally for the big win! Kaggle is the leading platform for predictive modeling competitions which focus on analytics and data science. In order to join and compete on Kaggle, simply follow the three (3) steps indicated below:
- Enter – Find a competition and download the training data. You don’t need new software / skills to submit
- Build – Build a model using whatever methods you prefer and upload your predictions to Kaggle
- …Win – Kaggle scores your solution in real time and you’ll see your place on the live leaderboard for your chance to win big!
An example of a recent competition involves Netflix, the online movie platform, ran a competition to develop a model to help them predict which movies customers would request on demand. They offered a prize of USD &1,000,000 to the best model developed. Read the rest of this entry »
The Caribbean Export Development Agency (Caribbean Export) supported a contingent of representatives from four (4) of the Region’s Business Support Organisations (BSOs) to participate in the 8th China LAC Business Summit that was held in Changsha, China between September 12-13, 2014.
The mission to China led by the Honourable Minister Donville Inniss, Minister of Industry, International Business, Commerce and Small Business Development for Barbados sought to build relations, discover new potential trading partners and promote the Caribbean for viable investment opportunities. Speaking at the China LAC Summit, Minister Inniss noted that the areas for future cooperation between China and the Caribbean included financial services, logistics, tourism and hotel development, agribusiness and infrastructure development.
The participation of these BSOs that included JAMPRO, InvestSVG, The Barbados Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Chamber of Commerce of Haiti, is an important step towards not only strengthening the capacity of the BSOs to understand the Chinese market but also to enable the BSOs to work with the regions private sector to strategically target and penetrate the Chinese for exports and investments.
The Caribbean delegates also took the opportunity to further discussions with the Tianjin authorities and business groups on investment and prospects for future trading relations. Meetings with the China Ministry of Commerce, and in particular the International Trade Development Bureau, enabled the discussion on the support that could be offered to the Caribbean allowing for increased access of Caribbean products into the Chinese market. In addition talks with the China Development Bank led to enlightenment as to how the Caribbean could access available resources in China earmarked for infrastructure development, as well as commercially viable projects in the Caribbean.
Another key meeting that was held during the mission was with ChinaGoAbroad whose members-only platform provides information and connections for Chinese companies as well as their global counterparts seeking international business partners, investment opportunities and joint ventures in a variety of sectors. Future collaboration with these partners will be led by Caribbean Export as the Agency seeks to strategically position the region for trade and investments from China.
The Summit acts as a promotion mechanism and platform for economic & trade cooperation between China and Latin America & the Caribbean and is managed by the China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT). The event promotes policy dialogue at the government level, but also promotes Chinese investments in Latin America and Caribbean markets.
Read the rest of this entry »