BELIZE CITY, BELIZE- October 22nd and 23rd 2014
The Making Tourism Benefits Communities Adjacent to Archeological Sites (MTBCAAS) Project is proud to announce the official launch of its “Unique Belize” artisan programme. The launch took place over two days, October 22 and 23, 2014, at the Ramada Belize City Princess in Belize City. The event included the launch of the Unique Belize Brand and the exhibition of the first Unique Belize artisan product line. The Unique Belize artisan programme was made possible through The Government of Belize with counterpart funding from the European Union via the Belize Rural Development Programme 2 (BRDP 2). Unique Belize is a standardization, certification, and branding programme aimed at helping Belizean artisans working at or near to nine archeological sites in the country to promote their work in the local and international marketplace and to help consumers to identify and purchase authentic Belizean artwork.
The Unique Belize label is designed to indicate that the artwork meets three criteria:
- Firs, the artwork was created by a Belizean citizen or legal resident;
- Second, the artwork is the original design of the artisan;
- Third the artisan has been licensed or otherwise legally been given the authority by the National Institute of Culture and History (NICH) to use the design.
The Unique Belize Artisan Programme is one of the major outcomes of the “Diversification of Community Based Tourism Products and Services” components of the MTBCAAS project. This component was initiated in November 2013 and involved a rapid assessment of the sector, the development and delivery of a small business and product development training as well as a three month mentorship programme for the artisans.
Sixty four artisans participated in the small business training programme, of which 42 were women. The artisans were then invited to participate in the advanced product development training, which focused on introducing product design innovation and production to piloting a new line of artwork that meet current market trends and are more appealing to identified target markets. Thirty-five (35) of them were then provided with a three month mentorship programme at the end of which they completed new product prototypes. The authentic Unique Belize artworks that they created will be exhibited at the Launch on October 22nd and 23rd 2014. Souvenir and giftware stores and buyers from around Belize are being invited to the Launch, and will be able to place orders with the artisans.
About the MTBCAAS project:
The Government of Belize received counterpart funding from the European Union via the Belize Rural Development Programme 2 (BRDP 2) to finance a project entitled “Making Tourism Benefit Communities Adjacent to Archeological Sites:” Co-financing for the project is being provided by the Government of Belize through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Civil Aviation represented by the Belize Tourism Board and the National Institute of Culture and History. The project is being implemented by the Belize Tourism Board and the National Institute of Culture and History through a Project Execution Unit housed at the Belize Tourism Board offices. Read the rest of this entry »
Belize Training & Employment Centre Prepares Belizeans for Work
The number of call centers is growing in Belize creating employment to just under three thousand Belizeans. This week, the Belize Training and Employment Center is preparing individuals to become professional in the workplace. Isani Cayetano reports.
Isani Cayetano, Reporting
Business Process Outsourcing, BPO, as it is commonly referred to, is a burgeoning industry in Belize that is recognized as a specialized “niche” area. As such, it has become a priority sector for socioeconomic growth.
Rolanda Ferguson, Student, Belize Training and Employment Center
“It’s one of Belize’s fastest growing industries, you know, this where it’s happening so I guess this is where I want to be.”
With the emergence of call centers across Belize City, there has been a need to standardize the quality of customer service presently being offered.
Read the rest of this entry »
The Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE) is a statutory body of the Government of Belize mandated to perform functions and duties related to:
1) Trade Development and Promotion
2) Investment Generation and Promotion
3) Enterprise Development and Facilitation
BELTRAIDE operates within the portfolio of the Ministry of Trade, Investment Promotion, Private Sector Development, and Consumer Protection.
BELTRAIDE is seeking the services of a suitably qualified and experienced person for the post of General Manager, Trade & Investment Development Division.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
I. Strategic Management
A. Strategic Planning
1. Liaise and collaborate with the other division of the organization and with other government agencies and departments to ensure organizational synergies, maximize resource management, and keep in line with the overall organization direction, vision and mission.
B. Monitoring & Evaluation
1. Annually and quarterly measure and evaluate division’s performance indicators and provide recommendations for continual improvements;
II. Programmatic Management
A. Investment and Trade Development and Promotion
1. Investment Development & Promotion: 1) New Industry Identification: work along with the management team (of both divisions) to identify, assess, and develop new areas of investment attraction; 2) New Investments Generation: work along with management team (of both divisions) to define and execute investment generation schemes;
2. Trade Promotion: Product/Service Promotion: to work along with the management team (of both divisions) to strategically and proactively promote Investment and Trade opportunities domestically and internationally;
III. General Management
A. Division Administration
1. Manage the overall daily division operations, and oversees division operating procedures including internal controls;
2. Continually improve technical policies and procedures to ensure effective and team-focused operations.
B. Division Project Management
1. Oversee the analysis, selection, planning, tracking and documentation, coordination and execution of all division projects from the project writing phase to project termination;
2. Be responsible for Grant Writing: direct and oversee the research of funding opportunities;
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Keen knowledge of Belizean private and public sectors, business development process, tax and financial framework, investment and trade promotion and development, international development agencies, project management, time management, quality control management and HR management
Strong skills in leadership, mentoring, forwarding thinking, and problem-solving
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCES:
The successful applicant must possess:
A minimum of a Master’s degree in Industrial Policy, Development Economics, International Business, Business Administration, Public Administration, or other a related field
Minimum of five (5) years management experience
Previous experience with managing staff, negotiating agreements, financial management, and managing stakeholder relationships
Other required experience include the ability to identify and implement best practices, work independently, think strategically, plan for the long-term success of the organization and effectively delegate tasks
An attractive package, commensurate with qualification and experience, is being offered.
Letters of Application are to be addressed to:
Belize Trade and Investment Development Service (BELTRAIDE)
#14 Orchid Garden
City of Belmopan
APPLICATION SHOULD INCLUDE:
a) Proof of educational qualification (copy of certificate of highest educational qualification to be attached to letter of application)
b) Proof of work experience along with two letters of reference, one of which should be from a most recent employer (to be attached to the Letter of Application)
c) Copy of a valid Belizean driver’s license
CLOSING DATE & TIME
The closing date and time for the receipt of applications is 5:00 p.m. on Friday 31st October, 2014.
Are you a tech savy programmer or data scientist in Belize looking for a new challenge? Do you feel that you have the skills to compete globally? If yes, then you should definitely visit http://www.kaggle.com/competitions
Through Kaggle, you can participate in real life competitions with significant payouts and a chance to compete globally for the big win! Kaggle is the leading platform for predictive modeling competitions which focus on analytics and data science. In order to join and compete on Kaggle, simply follow the three (3) steps indicated below:
- Enter – Find a competition and download the training data. You don’t need new software / skills to submit
- Build – Build a model using whatever methods you prefer and upload your predictions to Kaggle
- …Win – Kaggle scores your solution in real time and you’ll see your place on the live leaderboard for your chance to win big!
An example of a recent competition involves Netflix, the online movie platform, ran a competition to develop a model to help them predict which movies customers would request on demand. They offered a prize of USD &1,000,000 to the best model developed. Read the rest of this entry »